- One of my favorite news in the fashion world this past week is the announcement of the Target and Neiman Marcus collaboration for this coming Holiday season. They promise to have great products from top designers such as DVF, Rodarte, Alice & Olivia and many more at Target-based prices. Hope they don’t disappoint!
- H&M to start selling homeware products in the US!
- Here is a run-down of top fashion events and news in August. I’m ESPECIALLY marking my calendar for the first online Barney’s Warehouse sale on August 23rd (up to 75% off)!
- Vanity Fair has released its 2012 International Best Dressed list. Check out who made the cut.
- Believe it or not, Fall is just around the corner! Check out Style.com’s biggest fall fashion trends to prep you for your Fall Shopping spree!
- For us Fashion TV lovers, MTV’s House of Style to return to the Network!
- Blake Lively is the face of the new Premiere Gucci Fragrance. Check out the sexy sultry video here.
- Here is a comprehensive look at the Miami Beach Fashion Swim Week which took place last week.
Here is an entertaining look at last night’s MET Gala’s 2012 best and plain old quirkiest dresses.
Pics from Huffingtonpost.com
- These are great Earth-friendly tips in commemoration of Earth Day from Recessionista.com. Start small, but let’s start somewhere!
- Coachella is underway and always brings out the quirkiest in street style. Check out some looks here. Vintage looks galore!
- I don’t know about you, but I’ve started listening to all the talk about our toxic-laden beauty products and leaning towards going all-natural. Here is a list of some all-natural beauty products that don’t compromise on quality.
- Looks like wedge sneakers are here to stay (at least for a while). See some stylish best-sellers here.
- Great gift idea for upcoming Mother’s Day for the mamas-to-be in our lives- non-toxic pregnancy-safe nail polish.
- Nice slideshow of some beauty moments from past and present celebs that continue to inspire.
- Levi’s is reviving their 1920′s and 1930′s style for their vintage-inspired Winter collection.
- Top ten list of most “Beauty-Obsessed” cities. Surprised?
- Huffinton Post’s celebrity pics and tidbits of the week.
- For you ladies and gents thinking about making a career out of your love for fashion; here is fashionologie.com’s top 10 Fashion Schools.
- Besides shoes, handbags are the most vital accessory you wear on a daily basis. If you are on the market for a new handbag like me (and who isn’t) here are a few drool worthy bags to get you inspired.
- OPI is coming out with new Spiderman inspired colors next month. See them here.
- Jeffrey Campbell and Black Milk (avant garde legging line) to collaborate on a new shoe line to sell exclusively on (my fave) Solestruck.com!
- If you are looking for inexpensive vintage inspired sunglasses and eyeglasses, check these out!
- This week’s best Fashion Videos.
- Still getting your Spring wardrobe in line? Here are some suggestions of the Classic Spring/Summer staple: the denim jacket.
- Here are some of this week’s best-dressed celebrities.
- I am forever getting bored of my hair and looking for new ideas. Here are some pics of hairstyles and hair accessories to consider!
- Some new pics of Marilyn Monroe have been discovered and will be auctioned for sale. Just in case you have a few hundred thousand to blow.
- Here are the top 9 viral Youtube videos of the week. Always entertaining.
- Rihanna gets boo-ed for her exhibitionist style. Do you think her bear-it-all, sans bra style is over the top?
- Here are some major Fall accessories trends. I’m super into the statement necklaces, headbands and hats.
- Check out H&M‘s new Spring 2012 ad campaign. I’m not super impressed; it all seems pretty safe without much of a novelty factor. What do you think?
- Paris fashion week was followed by (a not as buzzed about) Toronto Fashion Week. Here are some fun looks and trends spotted in Toronto’s colorful FW.
- The Olson twins’ The Row will be pairing up with Superga for the release of their premier sneaker collection. They will be a luxurious $250 sneaker made of cashmere, no less.
- Zara will be opening a retail record setting flagship store on 5th Ave in Manhattan (formerly the home of the NBA store).
- This is a cute quirky celebrity baby names guide.
- Looking to change up your ‘do for Spring? I am! Here are some new Spring hair trends and ideas.
As you can imagine, PLENTY went into making Madonna’s ultra-intricate half-time show costumes. The headpiece is ridiculoso (as in amazing)! Riccardo Tisci of Givenchy designed her costumes and seems to be quite the go-to designer for on-stage costumes, also designing Kanye West’s outfits for his latest ‘Watch the Throne’ collabo tour. Here is a closer look at Madonna’s costumes.
I enjoyed my lazy Sunday evening watching the SAG Awards Red Carpet show last night. As usual, there were some beautiful gowns, accessories, hair, make-up, shoes, clutches etc. It made me want to dress up and go to a Black-Tie Event like NOW. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt closed off the show (fashionably late) and my curiosity was peeked by Angelina’s jewelry (as well as her beyond gorgeous everything else). She commented that she has always loved vintage jewelry, which inspired her to wear her House of Lavande vintage earrings and bracelet. I went online to check them out and it turns out the company originated in Palm Beach, FL. They search worldwide and curate vintage jewelry from the 1920’s and beyond. They have magnificent vintage jewelry. It’s a great place to go for inspiration (for those of us who can’t quite afford $2,000 vintage Lanvin necklaces and such). The magic about vintage is that there is such romanticism about it. Knowing that you are wearing something with a special history, something one-of-a-kind, and irreplaceable dramatically increases its appeal and value. And that, my friends, is why vintage will always be in style!
Gown: Jenny Packham | Jewely: vintage from House of Lavande
As it comes to a close, it’s safe to say this weekend was a great one. Delicious dinners, BBQ at the park, Art Walk, Deco Art Festival and concluded it all with a fantastic facial! One of the highlights was my Saturday evening at the monthly Wynwood Art Walk. While browsing the galleries and munching on truck food delicacies, we went into this art meets fashion boutique called Haus Fashion (2527 NW 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33127). I was drooling over their new vintage corner filled with some beeeautiful vintage pieces stocked by none other than one of the Sex and the City stylists. I live for discovering local vintage gems like these!
On my outfit: I purchased this cropped pea coat at Anthropologie for a crazy discount (paid $40, original cost was $200) and have been wearing it like crazy this Miami winter. I love to dress it up with my lovely vintage fur collar. The pants I wore are one of my 2011-steals-of-the-year. They’re Alexander McQueen wool trousers purchased at none other than TJ Maxx (I paid $90, original price $800+)!
Top: French Connection | Jacket: Anthropologie | Pants: Alexander McQueen | Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell | Purse: Vintage Coach
I went to the Jay-Z/ Kanye West “Watch the Throne” concert last week and found myself curious about what and who Kanye was wearing. Along with most other people I know, Kanye West gets on my nerves with his self-centered. self- important self, but what other rapper has a website named after them called : dresslikekanyewest.com ? Never ceasing to surprise, Kanye wore leather pants and a leather kilt throughout the concert changing his over sized t-shirts a couple of times (designed specifically for the tour by Riccardo Tisci of Givenchy). Being someone that thinks fashion isn’t just about following trends and trying to look like your favorite celebrity, I like that he went out on a limb and did something unexpected that felt right to him. Isn’t that what fashion is all about?! Especially coming from the macho-dominated rap scene, I say ‘yay’ to ‘Ye for his kilt-wearing fashion fearlessness!
Yesterday one of my all-time favorite design icons, Valentino Garavani and his partner in crime Giancarlo Giammetti announced the ‘Grand Opening’ of a virtual museum to come December 5th. It’s basically like touring a Valentino museum from the comfort of your own couch. It’s an interesting juxtaposition of ideas, really: the history of one of the fathers of fashion on a desktop application. Check out the preview: