So I just discovered this new brand Pam & Gela and I’m kinda hooked. These designers are the creators of the former Juicy Couture phenomenon. Now that Juicy is no more, these ladies are back for more and I must say I’m really digging their new aesthetic. This line is like a fab mix of sporty, rocker, boho chic with lots of Cali vibes. They carry the line in Department stores, but my Maxxinista self scored these fab terry shorts at TJ Maxx for $40! They’re a dream. Not only are they super comfy, but the studds add an edge and versatility that I love. Here, I styled them with my trusty chambray shirt and pumps. Who says terry shorts are just for lounging?!
Until next time!
Happy Monday! Hope the week is starting off right for everyone. I’m feeling the typical Monday morning sluggishness. We’ve had a pretty busy last couple of weeks with lots of visitors in town, which we love, but the action is catching up with me! My brother, Donovan Solis, was in town this past weekend from Atlanta. He is a producer for CNN en Espanol, and is extremely talented behind the lens, so you know I had to ask him to take a few shots for the blog! We started off by the bay behind my house then went to Wynwood for the monthly Art Walk. The whole colorful artsy vibe of this ‘hood inspired me to dust off this vintage dress that I hadn’t worn since before my pregnancy! I adore the print and fit of this dress. It has a great wide belt made of the same material as the dress, which gives a great natural looking sexy shape. Being that I have a boxier build this is a huge plus for me! The bold print speaks for itself so I went simple with the accessories just adding my favorite vintage hat and some fabulous Ferragamo heels.
How was everyone’s weekend?
How do you accessorize your favorite vintage dress?
Photo cred: Donovan Solis
Last week I attended Cosmopolitan En Espanol‘s 40th Birthday Bash celebrated by way of a Summer Splash Fashion Show held at Soho Beach House here in Miami. The evening was super sticky hot and crowded, but the show was great. This is a perfect venue for something like this with the extra long lap pool as a perfect runway setup. Some of the designers featured were: Barraca Chic, Zingara, Samsara Imports, Luli Fama, and Maya Swimwear. My favorite trends were the big floppy hats and chunky necklaces paired with the suits. Seeing all these swimsuit models made me wish I had skipped dessert that day (and every other day of my life thus far)! Blame it on the baby bump!
Dress: Velvet Torch | Necklace: Nordstrom | Handbag: Vintage | Shoes: Christian Louboutin
- By now, you’ve probably paid more than a few trips to the pool or beach being that we’re in full summer mode. Here is a nice slideshow on some tips for best swim suits for different body types. Every little bit of help counts when we’re baring it all!
- And while you’re at it, look at this great slideshow of the evolution of the swim suit from Vogue’s archives. Great vintage pics!
- One of my favorite things about Fridays are all the best dressed of the week and street style shots that are published. Here and here are a couple!
- wmagazine.com & vogue.com
- Renowned High Fashion Stylist Carine Roitfeld is set to launch her very own magazine called CR Fashion Book come September. Read more details here.
- Have a closet full of nothing to wear? Check out these tips for styling ideas for revamping your summer look.
- I’ve always said I love when Fashion mixes with Art. Click through this slideshow of Fall 2012 ad campaigns to see why!
- Read about the latest collaboration between eccentric Japanese artist Kusama and Louis Vuitton.
- Nordstrom to sell Topshop in some stores starting September! Hoping Miami is one of the selected cities!
- The Royal family of Qatar purchased Valentino Fashion Group for the small sum of $858 million. Chump change. More details here.
While strolling around the International Fashion Week exhibition lobby a couple weeks ago, I was stopped in my tracks when I came across this particular booth. Being the Vintage enthusiast that I am, I was immediately drawn to these vintage inspired hand-beaded evening handbags (not to mention that the sparkle beaming from them was hypnotizing!). Canadian native and resident Jacqui Uza is the creator/designer/owner of BOKO (Bead One Knit One) and incredibly designs, crochets and hand-beads these breathtaking purses all herself. The bags are vintage inspired ranging in style, color and era. These intricate, hand-made beauties can be customized so they are perfect for weddings and special events and will no doubt become your newest family heirloom. Can you say worth every penny?!? Purchase them on Etsy here (www.bokointernational.etsy.com) or email Jacqui at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. With over 30 designs to choose from, good luck picking just one!
Style and Era (below): Designer’s creation, 1920′s inspired
Style and Era: “Titanic” from the early 1900′s (before metal frames came about)
- For you ladies and gents thinking about making a career out of your love for fashion; here is fashionologie.com’s top 10 Fashion Schools.
- Besides shoes, handbags are the most vital accessory you wear on a daily basis. If you are on the market for a new handbag like me (and who isn’t) here are a few drool worthy bags to get you inspired.
- OPI is coming out with new Spiderman inspired colors next month. See them here.
- Jeffrey Campbell and Black Milk (avant garde legging line) to collaborate on a new shoe line to sell exclusively on (my fave) Solestruck.com!
- If you are looking for inexpensive vintage inspired sunglasses and eyeglasses, check these out!
- This week’s best Fashion Videos.
- Still getting your Spring wardrobe in line? Here are some suggestions of the Classic Spring/Summer staple: the denim jacket.
- Here are some of this week’s best-dressed celebrities.
- I am forever getting bored of my hair and looking for new ideas. Here are some pics of hairstyles and hair accessories to consider!
- Lanvin seems to know a thing or two about accessories (ya think). Here is a great detailed slideshow of the beyond gorgeous statement pieces from the latest show in Paris. I want one (any one) so bad it hurts.
- Renowned interior decorator Jonathan Adler is set to launch a handbag line! These new high-end handbags will be available in April at Jonathan Adler Boutiques Neiman Marcus and ShopBop online. Looking forward to seeing the designs!
- I love it! The newest nail trend to hit stores. The caviar mani! Soon to be featured on my nails. I also must try this moon/french mani (pictured above). Here is a how-to video.
- There is no medicine like a good laugh. Here are some 2012 news bloopers for your enjoyment.
- This week’s best dressed according to fashionologie.com. I love Jessica Stam’s new dark hair!
- Despy is all about recycling clothing and ethical shopping. Here is an article on why it should matter to you too! And check out these new ethical shopping brands.
- huggingtonpost.com & thisisfakediy.co.uk
- High School Prom dresses now must meet some very specific guidelines! It just takes a few to ruin it for everyone!
- Did you know about this National Cleavage Day? I guess you can never run out of things to celebrate! Learn more about it here.
I went to the Miami Beach International Fashion Week show last Friday and had a fabulous time. I really enjoyed the exhibitions prior to the show. They did a wonderful job of choosing the most original hand-crafted items from Vintage inspired hand-beaded bags (deserves a separate post, soon to come!) to custom Swarovski covered shoes. Below are some pictures of, another favorite of mine, beautiful hand-made leather clutches by Paola Peres (www.paolaperes.com). I loved that the ribbon on the clutches is removable and made to be able to match your look! Enjoy the pictures of some of my favorite pieces in the show!
Dress: Vintage Bisou Bisou | Shoes: Christian Louboutin | Purse: Vintage | Necklace: Nordstrom
- Some new pics of Marilyn Monroe have been discovered and will be auctioned for sale. Just in case you have a few hundred thousand to blow.
- Here are the top 9 viral Youtube videos of the week. Always entertaining.
- Rihanna gets boo-ed for her exhibitionist style. Do you think her bear-it-all, sans bra style is over the top?
- Here are some major Fall accessories trends. I’m super into the statement necklaces, headbands and hats.
- Check out H&M‘s new Spring 2012 ad campaign. I’m not super impressed; it all seems pretty safe without much of a novelty factor. What do you think?
- Paris fashion week was followed by (a not as buzzed about) Toronto Fashion Week. Here are some fun looks and trends spotted in Toronto’s colorful FW.
- The Olson twins’ The Row will be pairing up with Superga for the release of their premier sneaker collection. They will be a luxurious $250 sneaker made of cashmere, no less.
- Zara will be opening a retail record setting flagship store on 5th Ave in Manhattan (formerly the home of the NBA store).
- This is a cute quirky celebrity baby names guide.
- Looking to change up your ‘do for Spring? I am! Here are some new Spring hair trends and ideas.
- As seen on Chanel‘s Paris Fashion Week runway show, could embellished brows be the new fake lashes?
- This is a great slideshow of all the beauty trends from the 2012/2013 fashion shows.
- Alexander Wang is being sued for allegedly having a sweatshop in Chinatown.
- Some people get away with murder, but this lady arrested for painting her nails on a plane!
- Thursday was International Women’s Day. In commemoration, Here is a fierce fashion video inspired by a woman’s strength and how to use it!
- Spring is a hop and a skip away. With eclectic nail color and designs being hot as ever on the fashion scene, check out these fun new nail Spring colors and click here for a list of hot Spring trends under $50.
- In case you haven’t seen it, one of the most talked about moments of this week in fashion was Marc Jacobs silly women’s outfit he wore to a post-Parish Fashion Week party.
- Soon to be mine: I’m loving these DVF cell phone cases in honor of International Woman’s Day (and the others). And they’re under $30!
- Paris Fashion Week came to a close. Here is a slideshow of best and worst moments from PFW.
- Tom Ford to start selling $3000 eye-glasses! Recession who?
- They didn’t stop at the bejeweled eyebrows! Chanel’s PFW runway show set-up was no joke, as usual. Check out the crazy scenery here.
The weather in Miami continues to be a little too warm for fall clothes and a little too cool for summer dresses. I’ve had this little summer dress and found a perfect way to make it work for this in between seasons weather by layering with a sheer vintage short sleeve shirt. I tied the shirt in the back to keep the waist accentuated and ta da! A new outfit is born! Keeping your look updated is all about reworking what’s already in your closet! Happy Friday!
Dress: Prairie NY | Top: Vintage | Shoes: Dolce Vita | Purse: Vintage Coach | Sunglasses: Valentino
- Here’s what’s hot in make-up trends from NY Fashion Week.
- We need to get the facts! Here’s an article on big name make-up brands (Avon, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay) still testing on animals.
- A new study came to the head scratching conclusion that seeing thin models can make us feel better about ourselves. Huh?
- Check out some street style shots from London Fashion Week.
- Shoe genius Manolo Blahnik will be celebrating 40 years as a shoe designer in 2013. Read more here.
- On to Milan Fashion Week! Here are some cool shots of one of my favorite shows- Prada!
- And some of the best Milan Fashion Week street style shots.
- Wondering how to wear the latest sandals and socks trend? Here are some suggestions.
The world of fashion is ever evolving and always spontaneous. There seems to be so much to keep up with on a daily basis so I wanted to make it easy for my readers and start a weekly Fashion News Wrap-Up to touch on some of what I consider to be the most relevant and interesting fashion news of the week. Happy Friday!
- Zara’s Spring 2012 Lookbook is out! Check it out here!
- The fashion world is abuzz with NY Fashion Week set to start next week. Take a look at this slideshow revealing some of the top designer’s sources of inspiration.
- TOMS is now selling ballerina flats! They are adorable. I am so inspired by this business model! Buy them here.
- David Beckham Superbowl commercial. In undies. In case you’re curious.
- January’s best fashion videos. Beautiful examples of how Art and Fashion are a powerful combination.
- For all the mamas-to-be, there are now custom maternity shoes! Now if they could only make them look as good as they feel!
- Banana Republic will be launching their second collection inspired by Mad Men’s 1960′s style!
- Sneak peak at YSL’s pre-autumn ready-to-wear collection can be viewed here.
- Jason Wu’s much anticipated Target collection will be available Feb 5th!
- Marni’s H&M collection will be available March 8. I am loooving the prints! Take a look here and here.
-glamour.com & fashionista.com
I love everything I see from the flaming heels to the dainty hair brooches! Many of the recurring trends for Spring/Summer are seen here with the floral prints, pastel palettes, micro-pleats and overall feminine, retro feel. This is modern day eye candy for us vintage junkies!
Accessories can make or break an outfit. And what more important accessories than the ones that go on our faces? It’s no wonder we take our sunglasses so seriously. This year’s fashion trends have been all about vintage and retro chic and sunglasses are no exception. In the Spring/Summer 2012 shows we saw a resurgence of the cat-eye (Image 1: Ana Sui & Image 2: Missoni), some bold colored and pattered frames (Image 4: Stella McCartney) and some newly emerging eco-inspired trends such as Louis Vuitton’s SS2012 wooden framed sunglasses (pictured below) and Stella McCartney’s SS 2012 eco-friendly sunglass collection (Image 4). These sunglasses are made with bio-plastic which is composed of 54% castor-oil seeds (source: eye-wear-glasses.com)!